Okay, so we’ve all heard those people who talk about how teachers are so lucky because they get their summers off (blah, blah, blah, ignorant people talking, blah). Most teachers hear this and try to hold back doing violence to the speaker while explaining that there are actually many things that need to get done during the summer months, often while teachers are working a second job. To make things handy, you could just print out the list I’ve made below as an explanation. Then you can smack the person upside the head while he/she is reading. 😉
What do teachers do over the summer?
- Take college courses to further education.
- Go to professional development workshops.
- Study new teaching methods.
- Create lesson plans.
- Make classroom displays.
- Teach summer school/tutor students.
- Work a different job.
- Wait for floors to be waxed so you can get back into the school to do more work.