It’s Earth Day–a day to focus on conservation, earth-friendly habits, and the amazing planet we live on! It’s the perfect day for some fascinating facts about the third rock from the sun and its inhabitants. Check this out!
- The earth isn’t an exact sphere. We’re actually a bit squashed around the middle due to gravity and centrifugal force!
- The longest mountain range in the world is actually underwater! The mid-ocean ridge spans 40,389 miles.
- Scientists speculate that the 86% of the earth’s species have yet to be discovered.
- The oldest individual tree on earth is thought to be a Great Basin bristlecone pine in the White Mountains of California. It has been dated at 5062 years old.
- The deepest part of the ocean is the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench. The Challenger Deep is 30,070 feet below sea level.
- Earth is home to approximately 91,000 species of bugs!
We live on an amazing rock, that’s for sure! Let’s do our best to take care of it.