Tomorrow, November 27, is Kevin Henkes’ birthday! He’s the author of over 50 books, most of which he has illustrated as well. He’s well known for creating relatable characters that deal with familiar problems in whimsical and engaging ways. I did a bit of digging looking for interesting Kevin Henkes facts, and here’s what I discovered:
- I’ve been mispronouncing his name. It isn’t HENK-eez it’s HENK-us. (For correct pronunciation of author names, check out this really cool website!)
- His first book, All Alone, was published when he was 19.
- He’s been writing and illustrating books for 30 years.
- Kitten’s First Full Moon (2005) is the winner of the Caldecott Medal.
- He often collaborates with his artist wife, Laura Dronzek.
Oh, and one more fact: Mailbox editors LOVE Kevin Henkes. We have activities on our website from his stories Wemberly Worried, Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse, Owen, Kitten’s First Full Moon, and others. Click here to see our activities and printables. Here are two of my favorites!
Students focus on sequencing skills with this booklet that goes with Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse.
What is Wemberly worried about? Student make predictions before a read aloud of Wemberly Worried with this pre-reading activity.
One thought on “Happy Birthday, Kevin Henkes!”
Thanks for sharing your talent with the world Mr. HENK -us!